2016-2018 GFWC Georgia Second Vice President and
Dean of Community Service Programs – Shelby Holland
Clubwomen are encouraged to select a “program of work” wherein their interest lies. There is something for everyone who becomes a member of the Federation. Each Community Service Program has an area where club members work to improve their communities through different projects. There are also organizations that Partner with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs and provide resources and suggestions for each Program. GFWC Program partners are the organizations with whom GFWC has established a formal relationship and mutual understanding
The Six Community Service Programs are listed below. Please click on the title to download the guides for each Community Service Program.
Arts Community Service Program
Mission: Encourage members to create and contribute to arts education and activities in all communities.
- Art for Youth
- Foster Community Art
- Member Craft Competition
- Photography & Member Writing Contests
- Youth Writing & Art Contests
Mission: Educate members about the importance and benefits of beautifying their communities.
- Community Beautification Projects
- Tree-Planting and Preservation Projects
- Litter Prevention Projects
- Climate Change
Mission: Promote a commitment to lifelong learning by encouraging members and others to foster and support educational opportunities in their communities.
- Adult Literacy Family Literacy
- Youth Literacy Tutoring
Mission: Introduce members and communities to organizations that improve the lives of those in need.
- Heavenly Hats
- Hunger in America
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Healthy Self-Worth
- Weight Loss Challenge
- Heart Disease
- Breast Cancer
- Pandemic Flu
- Shingles Stroke
- Checking Your Credit
- Preventing Identity Theft
- National Organization on Disability
- Canine Companions for Independence
- Easter Seals
- The Heart Truth
- Inside Knowledge: Get the Facts About Gynecologic Cancer
Mission: Educate members and communities about global topics and provide opportunities to support and contribute to world issues
- Global Volunteers
- Save the Children
- Clowns Without Borders
- Project Hope
- Beads for Life
- Room to Read
- World Food Day
- Cultural Exchange
- Community Awareness Youth Exchanges
Mission: Educate members and others about the importance of active citizenship, and encourage participation in related activities. Educate members and others about community, home and vehicle safety issues, and encourage citizen action on these issues.
- Veterans Affairs
- Citizenship Participation
- Community Safety
- Home Safety
- Vehicle Safety
GFWC Georgia’s State President, Ida Dorvee has chose Domestic Violence Awareness & Prevention as her signature project. GFWC is a national leader in the fight to end domestic violence, by raising awareness about this social issue. By supporting existing activities, working with various establish programs, and initiating education opportunities for club members and local citizens, the goal of the GFWC Signature Project: Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention is to increase awareness and prevention of the widespread occurrence of domestic abuse in our communities.
GFWC members will speak with one voice:
- To develop and influence federal and state legislation that positively affects the lives of domestic violence victims and their families.
- To protect the safety, security, and dignity of older citizens.
- To promote fundraisers which provide a positive and constructive solution to victims of abuse through the GFWC Success for Survivors Scholarships.
- To promote projects that support and cultivate work with national and local domestic violence and abuse organizations.
- To support GFWC Signature Project: Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention Program partners.
Junior Club Director’s Special Project: Listen to the Whisper
Listen to the Whisper is our Junior Club Director’s special project for 2016-2018. We will be working all over the State of Georgia to raise awareness and prevention for Ovarian Cancer. Ovarian Cancer is diagnosed in more than 21,000 women a year in the U.S. and it kills more than 14,000. One out of every five women will develop Ovarian Cancer in their lifetime. This disease is known as the silent but deadly disease. Please join us in making an impact in Georgia about the Awareness and Prevention of Ovarian Cancer.
GFWC Juniors’ Special Program: Advocates for Children is designed to encourage all General, Junior and Juniorette clubs to make a difference in our world by becoming advocates for children. Clubs may choose to organize projects that benefit children in their community, state or world.
Clubwomen can become advocates by working to:
- Ensure that children are protected from harmful situations
- Encourage healthy physical and emotional lifestyles
- Impact policy to improve children’s lives.
While project ideas are numerous, clubs are encouraged to educate themselves regarding current issues facing our children: child abuse, health issues, poverty, cyberbullying, teen dating violence, child obesity, texting while driving, depression and suicide, etc.
GFWC Advancement Areas
Because of the integral nature of the GFWC Advancement Areas, these areas are now recognized as core Advancement areas of any successful program. These programs are intended to benefit the Clubs. They include: